To examine the intricacies of carbohydrate counting from a dietary perspective in order to gain a better understand of the day-to-day practical challenges.
- What is carb counting?
- Australian Dietary Guidelines
- Avoiding carb centric diets
- What are Australians currently eating?
- Why do we carb count?
- Why do we recommend carb counting and what is the evidence and current guidelines
- Roles of different dibetes health professionals in particular the role of the CDE in supporting carb counting
- Special populations and carb counting (eg: paediatrics)
- How to carb count
- The practical considerations for carb counting
- Basic skills in carb counting
- Resources for carb counting (writen, apps, meters)
Barriers to carb counting in different group and how to overcome these using practical tips
- Watch this space
- Areas of current research that may affect carbohydrate counting in the future
- Dosing for fat and protein
Learning Outcomes/ Objectives:
- Identify and describe the factors affecting carbohydrate counting from a whole diet perspective
- Identify the effects of different dietary patterns on carbohydrate counting
- Discuss the importance of diet quality in addition to carbohydrate counting
- Understand the challenges of carbohydrate counting